Breakfast in Bed: Blueberry Pancakes for Your Valentine
Nothing showcases romance and endearment like breakfast in bed. As we head into a beautiful Valentine’s Day weekend, we thought we’d share a Stonehurst Manor breakfast favorite: Chef Avi’s recipe for Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes. A short stack of these favorites’ go great with some fried up bacon or sausage, a steaming cup of coffee, and of course– the one you love beside you.
What You’ll Need
2 Cups: Flour
2 tsp: Salt
2 tsp: Baking Soda
1 tsp: Sugar
2 ea: Eggs, Large, preferably farm fresh
2.25 Cups: Buttermilk
4 tsp: Butter, unsalted, melted, plus some for the griddle
1 Pint: Fresh Blueberries, Frozen if not in season or available
Bigelow’s Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
- Pick over your Blueberries. Discard white, green or wrinkled ones, but color variation is fine.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, whisk to combine, then sift. (Sifting allows more air in your batter, thus fluffier cakes…)
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and buttermilk till well combined (farm fresh eggs have deeper yellow golden yolks, thus transferring a more desirable color and flavor to your cakes)
- Still wet ingredients into flour till small-medium lumps remain…whisk in butter at this point, but do not over mix. Just stir with whisk to combine…then allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Grease a hot griddle with butter, wipe clean and butter again. (prevents sticking…and we use a 425deg F griddle, but your home version may recommend a different temperature)
- Ladle 1-2 oz rounds onto the hot griddle and immediately sprinkle liberally with fresh blueberries.
- In 1-2 minutes, small bubbles will occur through the cakes, indicating time for the flip. Double check by ensuring the underside of your cakes are golden brown. Carefully flip over and cook another 1-2 minutes. Remove from griddle and enjoy with Pure Maple Syrup.
- Wipe griddle with damp cloth, to remove residue, and begin again at step 5 for a second round.